Living and working as an Aussie expat in Hong Kong often doesn’t mean you can forget about Australian tax – even if you are a non-resident. If you have a recurring source of income in Australia – such as income from a rental property in Australia or an investment portfolio in Australia – you will need to lodge an Australian tax return each year.

And with the non-resident rate of tax payable on Australian source income now 32.5% on the first $ of income there is likely to be a need to take specialist advice if you are living outside Australia and have investment income with an Australian source.

GM Expat Tax offers the following services to individuals who are moving to/living in Hong Kong:

  • Tax planning advice, including advice on your tax residency
  • Preparation of Australian Tax returns (including advice on tax deductions to reduce your tax liability), with all tax returns submitted to the Australian Taxation Office electronically
  • An extended lodgement deadline for your Australian tax returns, as we are registered tax agents in Australia
  • Preparation of accounts for taxpayers who are operating their own businesses
  • Assistance to ensure income is properly taxed and not taxed twice. This includes liaising with your local tax accountant and local financial planner as needs arise
  • Meetings to discuss issues arising, either in person or via a video discussion on Skype

GM Expat Tax has a policy of providing a no obligation fixed fee quote to all who are interested in engaging our services.

If you are an expat living in Hong Kong with Australian source income and would like a no obligation fee proposal from a firm of tax advisors that understands the issues affecting you please don’t hesitate to contact us.

We’ll be delighted to have a free initial discussion with you.

Click here to read more about Local Income Tax.

Latest Tweets